February Declutter Plan - The Home Office
Continuing our month-by-month tips to clearing the clutter from every room in your house, this month we will tackle the home office. This is especially timely for me as we are cutting down our office space this month. However, it's a great time to get a jump-start on your tax preparation by getting your files (paper and digital) in order.
- Sort through random stacks of paper; file, shred or recycle everything
- Streamline your files, shredding any documents you no longer need
- Use one calendar to keep track of all events
- Switch to paperless bills and statements if possible
- Clean out computer files and back up everything, using cloud-based storage and an external drive
- Use online or accounting apps that allow you to scan and keep track of your expenses. A personal favorite of mine is QuickBooks Self Employed that allows me to scan receipts and quickly categorize expenses.
Habit to cultivate: Sort your mail at the door, tossing junk immediately into a recycling bin.
What are some other useful tips and tricks you use to keep your office and paperwork organized?